Changing your Surname After Marriage

Changing your Surname after Marriage

Please be aware that under Australian Law, this is not a requirement but a personal choice and does not happen automatically.

NSW Births, Deaths & Marriages website states:

"If you were married in Australia a formal Change of Name is not required if you wish to take your spouse's name.  A standard Marriage Certificate is usually sufficient evidence to have personal documentation, such as your drivers licence & passport, changed to your married surname.

You will need to contact any and all organisations where you hold ID, e.g.,

·      Drivers Licence

·      Medicare

·      Passport

·      Bank

Once you have changed your name with these organisations, it will be a simple process changing it with other institutions.

On your wedding day I will issue you with a Marriage Certificate.  For name changing purposes you will need to request a full certificate, which is only issued by the Dept. Births, Deaths & Marriages.  I am more than happy to order this on your behalf when I register your marriage.  As a full Certificate is issued by BDM it will incur a processing fee.

If at the time you haven't made the decision either way, you can apply online.